• Parents/Guardians who live in Jackson County and want their children to attend a JCSS school other than the one for which the family’s residence is zoned may apply for a change through the process established by Georgia House Bill 251, Public School Choice Framework.

  • HB251, passed in 2009, allows a JCSS student to enroll in a school outside the defined attendance zone as long as the requested school has space available after all its assigned students have been enrolled. The student may then continue at that school through all the grades offered there (i.e., elementary, middle or high school), but another application must be made when the student advances to the next level.

    Please be aware of the following stipulations regarding students within HB251:

    If you are enrolling your child for kindergarten for the coming year and wish to request a school other than the one for which you are zoned, you need to participate in the springtime Kindergarten Round-Up at the school for which you are zoned and complete then submit the HB251 application form alongside your Kindergarten registration forms at that time.

    • If you are enrolling your child after Kindergarten Round-Up, please submit the HB251 application form at the school for which you are zoned.

    If your child has a current Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or Individualized Accommodation Plan (IAP), nothing in this framework requires the school to develop those services at the requested school as long as they are available elsewhere in the local school district.

    Students whose HB251 applications are approved are not eligible for interscholastic competition for one year, per Georgia High School Association (GHSA) eligibility guidelines.

    The parent/guardian is responsible for all the costs associated with transporting the student to and from the out-of-zone school. The school system will not provide transportation for these students, to or from any location, including homes of relatives or daycare centers located within Jackson County.

    Please review the request application linked below for more information. Printed copies are available in the main office of any JCSS schools and at the Central Office/Board of Education office. Complete the application and return the document to the school you have selected under the Public School Choice Framework. The application deadline is June 15, and the Superintendent or designee makes the final decision on all requests. Responses are mailed to families by July 1.

    For HB251 requests regarding the opening of new schools, the Jackson County School System will be accepting HB251 requests on an expedited manner from Jan. 1 to Jan. 31 of the year the new school is set to open. (Ex: Legacy Knoll Middle School and West Jackson Middle School requests will be taken Jan. 1, 2023 to Jan. 31, 2023). Those requests will be reviewed by district and school-level administration and a decision will be made immediately and the families notified. 

    When submitting a HB251 request regarding the opening of a new school, that form can be filled out digitally, or by filling out the paper version below. Paper copies must be turned back into the District Office. The window for the transfers regarding a new school is January 1 through January 31.

  • New School Requests

    House Bill 251 requests regarding a transfer between Legacy Knoll Middle School and West Jackson Middle School will be accepted January 1 through January 31, 2023. Those requests will be reviewed on an expedited timeline, by district and school administration. Families will be notified of a decision regarding the transfer request when a decision has been made. To submit a request, please fill out the following form and email it to ehooper@jcss.us