The Jackson County School System will continue to honor its “unsung heroes” with Excellence in Service awards in the 2019-20 school year. Community members, parents, students, and staff are invited to submit nominations for recognition at monthly meetings of the Board of Education.
“Honorees are those who go above and beyond to further our district vision, mission, and guiding principles,” said Dr. Selena Blankenship, JCSS human resources director.
“This award highlights the unsung heroes who serve the students and staff of the school system,” often without recognition of any kind, she explained. School system employees, volunteers, or community partners will be considered, and two individuals and/or groups are selected monthly.
The nomination form is available online at bit.ly/JCSS_19Excellence. For verification purposes, nominators must provide their names and email addresses, but they may choose to remain anonymous when the honorees are announced.
Nominations should range from 150-300 words and should be submitted by the 25th of each month. Honorees are chosen by a committee of personnel from across the district, including representatives from human resources, district services, and the teaching and learning office.
Nominations will remain active for the 2019-20 school year; winners from one school year are not eligible for the honor the following year.
During the 2018-2019 school year, six community volunteers were honored, along with six school employees, two district employees, and three retiring members of the Jackson County Board of Education. Click the gold link below for details of each winner:
- September 2018 – Brandy Moon (NJES) and Teresa Dearman (Central Office)
- October 2018 – Paul Pesaresi (Transportation) and Linda Moss (SJES)
- November 2018 – Sherry & Mike Aquino (EJCHS volunteers) and Terri Jamison (WJMS)
- December 2018 – Steve Bryant, Tim Brooks, and Celinda Wilson (retiring BOE members)
- January 2019 – Sandra Brown (JCCHS) and Mandy Byers (EJCHS volunteer)
- February 2019 – Phipps Philipps (WJES volunteer) and Frances Ely (MES volunteer)
- March 2019 – Melissa Nixon (SJES) and Edie Archer (NJES)
- April 2019 – Aimee Souto (WJMS volunteer) and Mark Kuczka (WJES volunteer)
For more information, contact Dr. Blankenship by emailing email@example.com or calling 706-367-5151.