The Jackson County School System is striving to improve our students’ academic success through improved school attendance.
As educators and parents, we all recognize the relationships between daily school attendance, student performance, graduation, and habits in the workplace. We also know that the amount of time actually spent in class is a good measure of student access to an education and ultimate success. Each tardy or absence means a student has lost an opportunity to learn. Regular attendance is essential if students are to receive the maximum benefits of the instructional program. Excessive absences, tardies, and early checkouts result in the loss of valuable learning time and a decrease in student interest.
Students will be excused from school under the following circumstances:
- Personal illness or attendance in school endangering a student’s health or the health of others
- A serious illness or death in a student’s family necessitating an absence.
- A court order or an order by a government agency, including pre induction physical examinations for service in the armed forces, mandating absence from school.
- The observance of religious holidays, necessitating absence from school.
- Conditions rendering attendance impossible or hazardous to student’s health or safety.
- A scheduled medical, dental or eye examination of the student.
- Registering to vote or voting, for a period not to exceed one day.
- Visiting a parent or legal guardian who is in the military service in the armed forces and has been called to duty or is on leave from overseas deployment to a combat zone or combat support post. The student may be excused for a maximum of 5 days per school year.
Absences are UNEXCUSED for all other reasons, including but not limited to: missing the bus, oversleeping, power outage, vacations, trips, family visits, car trouble, baby-sitting, running errands, and/or skipping school, etc.
Parents are permitted to write notes excusing up to 5 absences for school year. Parent notes must be for an excused reason or it will not be accepted. Notes to excuse absences should be turned in no later than 5 days after the absence occurred.
Click here to return to the School Improvement & Accountability page.
Parents may write notes to the school excusing up to five absences per school year without medical documentation. Phone calls will not be accepted.
A parent / guardian who violates the Compulsory Education Law shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof, shall be subject per violation to a fine not less than $25.00 and not greater than $100.00, imprisonment not to exceed 30 days, community service, or any combination of such penalties at the discretion of the court having jurisdiction.
Each day’s unexcused absence beyond five unexcused absences constitutes one violation.