Pre-K Registration

UPDATE – March 1, 2019: Applications are now closed for 2019-20 Pre-K. The drawing is set for March 13. Please contact your child’s school for additional information.


2019-20 Registration Process

Pre-K applications for the 2019-2020 school year will be accepted beginning Friday, February 1, 2019, at all Jackson County elementary schools.  Children must be 4 years old by September 1, 2019, and must live in the school’s attendance zone to apply for Pre-K. 

The deadline to submit an application is 2 p.m. February 28, 2019. 

There are a limited number of spaces in the Pre-K program, and completion of the application process does not guarantee enrollment. If the number of applications exceeds the spots available, a drawing will be held March 13, 2019 (not March 14 as previously announced).

  • Application forms are available at each school (they are not available electronically).
  • Only completed applications that have been returned by the deadline will be considered.
  • All applicants will be notified of their status by mail after the drawing takes place.
  • If you have a question about the school for which your residence is zoned, please call us at 706-367-5151.
You will need the following items to complete the application process:
  • Proof of residency in the parent/guardian’s name. The following are acceptable:
    • Copy of home settlement statement or mortgage statement.
    • Copy of current lease agreement signed by the landlord (handwritten notes are not accepted).
    • Copy of current utility bill/service connection with parent/guardian’s name and service address.
    • Copy of current homeowner’s insurance statement with parent/guardian’s name and address.

Should living arrangements be a multi-residence household or a shared household, and the parent/guardian is not the homeowner or head of household, a Student Residency Questionnaire and a Certificate of Multi-Family Residence form must be completed, notarized, and on file. The school can provide notary if needed.

  • Student’s Birth Certificate, hospital-issued birth record, or religious birth record.*

Proof of Guardianship/Custody Agreement is required when both birth parents are listed on the birth certificate but do not live in the same household.

  • Child’s Social Security Card or signed waiver

SSN waiver available at the time of registration

  • Parent/guardian proof of identification

Examples are: Photo ID, passport, work badge, etc.

Available through/conducted by the local health department or a Georgia physician. Required for children entering Georgia schools for the first time.

  • Georgia Immunization Form 3231. Available only through the Health Department or a Georgia physician.

If your child was born in Georgia, the Vital Records Department of Jackson County, which is part of the Probate Court, can provide a certified copy of the birth certificate for a small fee. With proper ID and $25, you can get a certified copy of the birth certificate on the spot — even if there are issues you can usually get one within ~72 hours.

Click here to read more, BUT don’t be put off by the “download and mail this form” statement — you CAN go in person and get the BC on the spot or apply in person for the 72-hour version. If cost is an issue, contact Rachel Duke, our lead social worker, at 706-367-5151.

If your child was NOT born in Georgia, check with the Vital Records office in the state of birth; many states offer similar services online.

GSES playground

The Jackson County School System does not and will not discriminate
based on race, color, national origin, or immigration status.

  • Click here for the Teaching & Learning overview.
  • Click here to return to the Teaching & Learning photo directory page.
  • Click here to return to the School Improvement & Accountability page.
Gum Springs Elementary School student

McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth

The McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth program is designed to address the problems that homeless children and youth have faced in enrolling, attending, and succeeding in school. Under this program, state educational agencies must ensure that each homeless child and youth has equal access to the same free, appropriate public education, including a public preschool education, as other children and youth.
If the McKinney-Vento Act applies to your family, the school registrar/school social worker will be able to assist with the registration process.If you have further questions regarding registration, please contact the school the student will be attending.